Fast Facts 26. Data access and management agreement
ISBN 0 642 37120 2 September 2001
What is the Agreement?
The Data Access and Management Agreement is between the National Land and Water Resources Audit (a program of the Natural Heritage Trust) and the Australia New Zealand Land Information Council (ANZLIC) —the Spatial Information Council (with representation from Commonwealth, State and Territory government).
What are the goals of the Agreement
- improve natural resources management decisions by making information available
- empower the community by providing regional information on land, vegetation and water resources
- lead Australia into an era of information sharing
What does the Agreement do?
Improves access to:
- natural resources data and information products developed by the Audit; and
- data that are required to update natural resource information products and undertake natural resource assessments held by Commonwealth, State and Territory natural resource management agencies.
What is set out in the Agreement?
The Agreement specifies access, ownership, custodianship, archiving and updating arrangements for the data collected, developed for and used in, the assessments undertaken by the Audit.
- A Schedule (list) sets out the data, custodians and owners of the data that are included under the Agreement. The Schedule will be added to as the Audit completes it program of work.
- Cutting through the red tape: Data is made available under using a standard data licence agreement — protecting rights of the owner(s) and enabling value-adding by the users (government, community or commercial)
Facilitating "community access" to data
- "Community Access" data licencing provides for use by the public. The Agreement provides a royalty-free licence to use, reproduce, make new information products from and print the data, and to combine it with other data held by the user.
- The Australian Natural Resources Atlas (www.environment.gov.au/atlas) and Australian Natural Resources Data Library (adl.brs.gov.au) provide the internet-based facilitates to discover, explore and download the data.
Freely available—at marginal (if any) cost
- The Agreement sets in place a "marginal cost of dissemination" policy. Costs only include those directly related to distributing the data.
- In practical terms, access to the data available through the Australian Natural Resources Data Library is free (except for user internet charges incurred by users downloading the data).
- No queues —the Australian Natural Resources Data Library makes it easy—registration and distribution processes are largely automated and requires little manual intervention.
Commercialisation is possible
With the written permission of the owners, data under this Agreement may be commercialised. The data licencing conditions encourage and enable the development of new information products.
Further information contact the Audit 6263 6035 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Custodian : means the nominated body, or person, responsible for developing and/or managing the data, and who has the right to determine the conditions applying to the use or distribution of the data. Owner : the individual(s), organisation(s) or jurisdiction(s) holding the intellectual property rights over a particular set of information or data.
Some documents on this website are available as PDF files. Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view PDF files.
Links to an another web site
Opens a pop-up window